About Me

My photo
I love love love to craft, what can i say:) Im a simple girl, with dreams of living a simpler life. My adventures have helped me get away from the disposable lifestyle, and I hope they can help you too! This blog will feature many of my items, and lots of tutorials on how to do things that are handmade, adorable, and earth friendly :) I am uber passionate about being earth friendly in everything I do, and everything i subject my family to. I am also an intacta-lactavist, and oh so everything natural-ist :D I am the " dirty hippie" of my family, and proud to have a voice for those who aren't heard.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Mama Cloth!

Enjoy this guest blog post about a mama, and her journey with cloth!

When I first started to cloth diaper I was told about Cloth pads, or mama cloth. I thought, really? No WAY I could do that or was going to. The idea just seemed gross, uncomfortable, and weird. I thought it would be like wearing a diaper, and no different from wearing pads; I used tampons. But then I started reading up on it, asking around about it, and when a friend offered to make me up some for no cost, I couldn't pass her up. Now, I am in love!Mama cloth is a reusable feminine pad for use during your period. It takes place of tampons or the disposable pads. There is a different length and thickness for each part of your cycle and even customizable patterns and designs. Most of them have wings that snap underneath so no stickiness to deal with or sliding around on the underwear! Some are stuffable and some are AIO, kind of like the cloth diapers. There are also reusable tampons but I'm still not sure on trying those yet.Why I finally decided to try the mama cloth? Simple. It was better for my body. And a LOT cheaper in the long run. Disposable ones are chemical filled and toxic, not to mention they seemed to smell up the bathroom and you had to keep buying them. With tampons, theres also the risk of TTS or toxic shock syndrome. Take a tampon and stick it in a cup of water for a couple hours; the cloudiness is everything being absorbed into your body. With cloth, it's more comfortable. It's a whole lot softer and basically feels like your cotton underwear. Cloth pads are also more breathable, which means no yucky rash during the hot days. They are just as absorbant as the regular ones so it's really not as gross as it sounds. Just make sure to change it often. And no, they don't leak! And washing them is no problem. I also use family cloth (or cloth toilet paper) so I usually throw my pads in with those and wash every night. You could also wash them with your cloth diapers if you don't mind. I don't think it matters what type of laundry soap you use, but I use a cloth diaper safe brand, just because :). If you want to know where to buy them, look online. There are many places that sell them. I get mine from randumosity.com or I have a friend make them. Do a google search for cloth pads or mama cloth and I am sure many sites will come up. If you live in a bigger city I am sure local stores sell them too. You just have to search around. Try them! You won't go back to your old disposables! And if you're anything like me, the saved money is worth it alone! 

Why I use mama cloth:
Many women do not realize the amount of chemicals within their store bought disposables, or how they may correlate with gynecological concerns. Disposable pad and tampon companies are not required to list the ingredients on labels. Some irritating or toxic ingredients found in disposables include:
 

 From Sheena Halliwell.
aluminum, alcohols, fragrance additives, and hydrocarbons. Tampon bleaching processes leave behind dioxin. Dioxin is a toxic chemical (chlorine-compound) linked to cancer, immune system suppression, ulceration, pelvic inflammatory disease,reduced fertility, changes in hormone levels and endometriosis. Try this simple test: Place a regular tampon in glass of water and return in a few hours. You will find the water cloudy and filled with residue - all things that your body is otherwise absorbing into the soft tissues of the vagina.
 The blog I have  (although I haven't written on it in a while......) is savewithcloth.com

also, she shared this little tid bit with me the other day!

No comments:

Post a Comment