About Me

My photo
I love love love to craft, what can i say:) Im a simple girl, with dreams of living a simpler life. My adventures have helped me get away from the disposable lifestyle, and I hope they can help you too! This blog will feature many of my items, and lots of tutorials on how to do things that are handmade, adorable, and earth friendly :) I am uber passionate about being earth friendly in everything I do, and everything i subject my family to. I am also an intacta-lactavist, and oh so everything natural-ist :D I am the " dirty hippie" of my family, and proud to have a voice for those who aren't heard.

Monday, April 11, 2011

sposies vs cloth diapers.

It's a dramatic war. . . each side generally feels strongly about what side they are on, and to be honest, (with the risk of offending), a lot of false information is holding people steadfast to the side they choose. I would like to clear that up :D First, lets look at the CONS.
*disposables*
  1. A disposable diaper takes 550 years to break down.(oh yeah, & that plastic bag you use to contain the stinkies? 20-1000 years...)
  2. Sposies contain sodium polyacrylate, the clear gel-like substance that oozes out of an exploding diaper. Its super super absorbant, and is why your diaper lasts 4 hours. It was banned from tampons in 1985 because of its link to Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  3. TBT or Tributylin  has even been found in sposies... TBT is a biocide and is used in killing or preventing the growth of bacteria, and also is ranked as one of the most toxic substances in use in consumer products in the world today.
  4. New scientific studies have linked disposable diapers with asthma in studies with mice.
Even if you can get past all that, how's about this:
5. "Rinse or shake diaper contents into the toilet.  Wrap diaper securely inside it's back sheet before discarding into waste receptacle."
(thanks for the image knicker nappies)
6. Average cost of disposable diapers: $1600 if they are in them two years.

*cloth diapers*
  1. Initial investment - around $300 .
  2. You have to wash them every 3 days or so. This means 2-3 loads more of laundry a week.
  3. It takes a bit of trial and error to learn what routine fits your family best. 
  4. Sometimes, you need to sun them ro remove stains.
  5. You have to dump solids in the toilet.

PROS

*disposables*
  1. No learning curve, slap em on and go.
  2. Very trim.

*cloth*
  1. 1/10th the cost of disposables.
  2. One investment & can be used for every baby you have.
  3. No harsh chemicals harming your baby.
  4. Really really super cute.
  5. Your helping save the earth :)
So, you tell me, what makes more sense? 


We are giving away a handmade by me wool cover!
It will be made in the sized the winner needs.


To enter, leave a comment for each method you choose to enter, up to 4 times.
~Join our mailing list! easy side bar form :) ~

~Tell me why you choose what you choose, and if you would consider the other.~

~Refer a friend to our blog. ~

~ share us on facebook!~

Thanks so much!


22 comments:

  1. We cloth diaper full time! When your hubby is a youth pastor you dont make a lot of money you have to be creative! I registered for cloth diapers and was given many as gifts! I would never consider going to disposables!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..LOVE THIS PAGE!!we are a week in to CD, we are using bummis prefolds and totbot PD...we LOVE IT..and its so adorable and guilt free.. We hated knowing all the harsh chemicals we were putting on his little tushie.. he and us are happier and making the landfills..well less filled haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. i couldnt believe how much of a relief it is to know that we are heloing the enviroment and our son at the same time.. BUT i wont lie it was a battle to get my hubby in board, it was the whole stinky poop debate, But since he is on breast milk its a non issue now, I have gotten 3 friends on the CD band wagon and am pushing for more...umm #2 lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! And we cloth diaper and LOVE it. I love the fact that it's earth friendly, pocketbook friendly, baby bottom friendly and I feel less "dependent" on "them" for my baby's needs, i.e. I don't have to "run out to the store for diapers" every week and get anxious when I see the stockpile running low. I just throw in a load!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We cloth diaper primarily because we don't want the chemicals on our son's bum! It's also much less expensive and much less destructive to the planet. It's not just about filling up the landfills (which is a serious issue) it's also all of the chemicals they release whilst sitting in the dump! 

    Cloth is win-win-win: chemicals off of baby, easier on the bank account and more gentle with the Earth. There is not a down side, seriously. And I would know, because I (much to my chagrin) had to use disposables when our son was born. Our home birth ended in a non-emergency transfer to the hospital, where of course they use disposables. And once we got home, although he was over 8 lbs., he did not fit into the small size FuzziBunz we had on hand. So, for the first few weeks he was in Swaddlers. I was NOT happy about it. Those little, tiny, plastic-like balls that stick to their skin from the chemicals they use to make them super absorbent are just wrong! And we can't know the long-term effects of something like that. But, now I've done both, so I know cloth is not more difficult to use. It's one extra load of laundry every couple/few days, that's it. People get worried about the poop in the washer but it is not an issue when you are exclusively breastfeeding. Yay ( . Y . ) lol. Once solids come into play, a quick dunk in the toilet is all it takes. Not a big deal and totally worth it. 

    And you mommas out there that are cd'ing - spread the word! The world of cloth is so much easier if you have someone to walk you through it! 

    Happy cloth diapering!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. had our first poosplosion today, guess im still learning how to fit a prefold lol..man i gotta get some snappis lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. We chose to cloth diaper full time after finding out I was pregnant with number two when number one was 3 months old. I wouldn't go back even if someone paid me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joined mailing list

    lacey1715 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. We use cloth... My mom used it on me and my husband's mother used cloth. So it was already in my head before I ever had a child I would use cloth! Our main reason for using cloth is to keep the nasty chemicals used in disposables off the kiddos. Second is to reduce the amount of waste. And while we do save money I honestly wouldn't care if it cost us more to cloth diaper I would still do it!

    lacey1715 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I choose to use cloth because it sickened me to think of the harsh affects the chemicals could have on my daughter. The disposables smelled horrible and made me want to gag. Cloth just made sense. we needed to diaper cheap, we are an eco-friendly family who is very green conscious, and I wanted to reduce my daughter's exposure (and ours) to toxic chemicals as much as possible in this chemical-laden world.

    mphin278 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I joined your mailing list!
    mphin278 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SAPsMaMa/posts/205314582823058

    Shared you on facebook (and probably will again! lol)

    mphin278 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I referred a friend (Jenny)

    mphin278 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used disposables for my oldest and she ended up with eczema and food allergies and tons of rashes. With my youngest I went the cloth diaper route and have never looked back! I wish I had known about cloth diapers 8yrs ago so that I could have used them on my oldest as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Forgot my email addy on my entries
    albdoc00 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete